Wednesday 25 September 2013

Carmine means Bright Red



Its a beautiful model Forgeworld put out, both with the rider and without but right from the start I knew I had to have the Carmine Dragon.


This all resin kit needed a little tender love and care to assemble, some greenstuff in a few spots which were challenging to put it because the surface needed to be textured just right. It was still beautiful.
My vision for painting it though was somewhat flawed. I wanted to go with browns or yellows but the name Carmine kind of dictates the color. So bright red...my thoughts: now I have two red dragons, not happy about that.

I painted the base portion of the model first, an old, broken tree with an egg hidden underneath-a detail I hadn't noticed when I bought it. The egg proved to be a bigger challenge than the entire rest of the model. I wanted it to stand out but I didn't want it to be the same color as the dragon. I started out with one color and switched a few until I settled on something. I don't really know if I could even duplicate it. Which is sad because I like the color and am considering striping the dragon and starting again. The odd part that I think makes it work is that I never used metallic paint and somehow it wound up looking slightly goldish (totally not deliberate so no idea how to duplicate it).

Once the base portion was done I focused on the dragon itself. I enjoy painting but I'm not as good a painter as people like Mathieu Fontaine and James Wappel but I enjoy painting. I loved reviewing the dragon Mathieu did recently.

My dragon, however was painted a lot more basically but I like the red I wound up with.




Once I was done I wasn't worried about a base because it didn't come with one, but we started using it with Storm of Magic and I found that it knocked over far too easily so we scrounged around and took the base from the Cursed Ettin that we had bought (which is still waiting to be painted). The Ettin base (60mmx100mm) was exactly the right size to fit the entire base of the tree.

At the moment these are the best pictures I have to post, in blowing up my laptop I have lost the ability to upload new pictures temporarily. I really do not enjoy not being able to get good pictures up. If I can figure out a way to get the SD card reader working on this machine I'll fix these up.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful model! Did you base the whole thing in the lavender colour of the claws? I'm trying to figure out the egg colour and I think you could get that with a lavender base, pale sky blue wash and a few watery off white washes, maybe a watery light grey in there too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the GW brand paints so yeah I based everything with the Hormagaunt Purple. I know when I did the egg I used a bit of Hawk Turquoise, Ice Blue, washed with the Casandora Yellow but I can't remember what and how I did it. Hahaha. I keep saying I will write down what I'm doing and then never do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your paint scheme. The red looks really good and I actually really like the egg. It reminded me of a robin's egg but a little more metallic. It looks good. It does kind of suck that you now have two red dragons but great work on this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the problem with my armies that I never write it down.... each group of units or characters looks different! GW doesn't help with their renaming and remixing of paints.
    I've actually started using artist paints as much as model paints and I'm getting some really nice results. I really like using Matisse FLOW transparent umber for a good deep brown that isn't too opaque. I put it over the terrain is blogged about here http://mattbensonparry.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete