Monday 26 August 2013

WFB: Bretonnians vs Chaos




We play games at home as often as we can stand, usually it is preparing for one tournament or another but sometimes we play just to play. Tonight was one of those days: 2 games of X-Wing and then a 3000 point game of Warhammer.



Todd (my husband) plays Warriors of Chaos, I am used to losing to his lists--he usually plays an all Khorne list with no magic other than a Shrine and it is a very tough list--so today we thought we would do something a little different and played a 3000 point game.

Todd brought out 2 units of 3 jugs, a shrine, a chimera, 2 units of 5 marauders, a unit of Khorne warriors and one of Nurgle warriors, a Hellcannon, a BSB on Disc, Caster on Disc and General on jug.

I brought out the Fey Enchantress with a small unit of Grail Guardians, Errant and Realm Knights, a unit of Pegs, 3 trebuchets, Grail Relequae, Men at Arms, and bowmen, plus BSB, 2 Paladins and a Damsel. For the first time ever I tried using Death magic.

We play by the book, rolling for terrain and battle (will talk about terrain and scenario usage in another article), for this game we had 2 forests, an arcane ruin, a hill, 4 buildings and a couple of fences. We got to play Blood and Glory. Being a Bret player I find it really easy to take enough banners to be okay for Fortitude but sometimes banners just aren't enough.

Todd go to choose table sides and because I prayed he also got first turn.

Turn 1 was pretty un-exciting. No charges for either of us. I shut down Todd's magic phase (easier to do with him rolling 8 dice and no channelling and me having the Fey who comes with the familiar & the Damsel with the Chalice that give extra dispel dice). In my magic phase I got off 3 spells: Comet of Casandora, Apsect and Doom and Darkness. It was strange using three different Lores because of the abilities of the Fey.

Turn 2 I realized a fatal flaw as Todd charged two of my trebuchets and my Grail Relequae then had Comet explode killing 2 Pegasus riders and 4 Khorne warriors. I should have given up then but my turn 2 got worse. I charged his Nurgle unit, the Shrine and a unit of jugs. I blew through the jugs which pulled my BSB to the other side of the table from everything else and failed to wound anything at all leaving me stuck in (a very bad place for Brets to be). Then in a challenge Todd's Nurgle Champion got to roll on the Eye of the Gods chart and I had a minor heart attack thinking he'd just turned himself into a Daemon Prince but luckily for me he had rolled an 11 not a 12. The damage was done though, my grail relequae failed stubborn leadership 9...it was awful!

Turn 3 continued to see my death as he wiped out my last Treb, got the Hellcannon into the Errant knights with BSB, ran down my bowmen and flanked my Realm knights, then running them down after I failed to wound in combat and rolled a 9 for leadership when I needed a 6. I rallied on my turn 3 but the damage was too far gone.

Turn 4 Todd's general failed its stupidity check twice (re-roll for BSB), then the Chimera ate my men at arms, the hellcannon chewed on the errant knights and their was nothing left to do but walk away from the game.

1 comment:

  1. Nice battle report. Good pics. Bad luck for you though.

    Could you tell me please, about the Carmine Dragon base size? Is that a 50x75mm base, or 75x100mm? I´m planning to build and paint (and convert) one for a Chaos Lord, but I can´t figure it out about the right base size.

    Thanks in advice for your help (or any pics regarding that dragon that you could send me to nesbet dot 088 (a) gmail.com)! :)

    ReplyDelete