Wednesday 15 January 2014

Pre-Event Thoughts: GottaCon

For 5 years Evan Hatch,Carson Upton and their team have run a successful three day convention in Victoria, BC and year six of GottaCon isfast approaching. Alreadythe organizational team hasbeen hard at work preparing for oneof Canada's largest events which is to be held the end of February2014. I have attended GottaCon for the last two years,and played in the Warhammer Fantasyevent both years. It pains methatI cannot attend this year but was thrilled to hear ofthe growth to the event.

Traditionally the Fantasy eventis 2500 points out of the box Warhammer: no comp,and special characters allowed. I love this typeof gaming as it allows gamers to maximizethe full extentoftheir armies. It means gamers like me can use special characters if I want and gamers advocating comp can bring broken liststo show the rest of us the purpose of comp (ha ha). Before I realized I wouldn'tbe able to attend I was debating whether I should bring the Fey Enchantress or the Green Knight this year,and I have really enjoyed sitting around discussing army builds with some ofthe locals at the last few tournament weekends to hear what projects are in the works.

Several "secret projects" are set to be revealed and I am keen to see thepictures that will come up after for all the different armies that arebeing meticulously painted and accessorized. My favorite part of these events are army reveals. I know of at least three secret projects I am excited to see and hear how they do. Late night karaoke is next up, 40 or so gamers sitting around, talking about their games and music,it brings lots of laughs, discussion and a great community building experience.

Although I can't go I still find myself writing army lists as if I am going and working on some painting projects on the off chance my schedule were to change. Does anyone else do that?

Friendly rivalry has sprung up over the years between the Mainland groups WCP& CHOP and the Island club Greenskin Nation to see who will win. Pat Carolan, a Mainlander from CHOP (and co-host of Chumphammer)was the winner of Best Overall from the 2012 event and when the 2013 Best Overall was announced as Greenskin Nation's own Ian Harris, Pat presented Ian with a crown. I am curiousto see this year which club will successfully hold the crown after the 2014 event--though as an Islander my hope isfor Ian to be able to defend his crown.

Great times can be had at many conventions and events, for more information about GottaCon go to their website, meanwhile would love to hear some of favorite parts of going to a Con.

No comments:

Post a Comment