Friday 11 April 2014

Last Night Sculpting Session

I sculpted my first attempt about 2 years ago using tradition GW greenstuff making capes for some Grail Knight conversions I was working on.

My second attempt was little bits for Evie (my Bret caster on scooter that is running around with my army) and that time I tried Milliput.

Well now that I am working on this Empire army I got a hold of some models that needed some work and that meant sculpting.

I got this metal griffon or hippogriff model (not sure what, it had spots for wings and a beak) & decided to use it to make the fourth demi grif I needed in the unit. That meant covering ghastly wing hole slots, making a tail and giving the rider a place to sit other than the neck (where the old model would have sat). Because of the width of the body and the leg span of the kit bashed rider I created the "saddle area" could not be very thick and unfortunately would need to cover the entire back. So I settled on a padded blanket.

Now that part has set I am going to work creating more of a saddle area the rider will sit in.

I am certainly not the world's best sculptor, but patience and perserverance is resulting me with some alright results and if I had to make a recommendation: use milliput for sculpting, and make sure you have a good set of sculpting tools. I can't recall where I got this set but I love it and the rubber ends are much easier to use than the metal ones I was using before.

Will post more progress pictures when the saddle is done.

2 comments: